Lecturer of Urban and Regional Planning
PhD, University of Illinois at Chicago 2013
Temple Buell Hall
611 Taft Drive
Champaign IL 61820
- Lecturer of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2013-present)
- PhD Regional Planning, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2013)
- MUP, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2009)
- BS, Civil Engineering, United States Air Force Academy (1996)
- Computing Facilities Coordinator, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013-present
Ongoing Research Projects
Urban governance, sustainable development and processes of urban restructuring. How are regions, cities and communities managing society’s mounting climate and environmental dilemmas and what is the effect of different policy approaches and governance arrangements on society and the built environment? Cities are now confronted with multiple challenges – unsustainable patterns of growth, planning for resilience in the context of a changing climate, and rising inequality. How are efforts to address the ecological viability of cities and regions incorporating concerns for environmental justice, inequality, and the distribution of costs and benefits with regard to processes of environmental policy formation and implementation?
- Sustainable urban development and the New Regionalism
- Land use policy and resiliency
- Place-making and the creative city
Chakraborty, A., D. Allred and R. H. Boyer. 2013. Zoning Restrictiveness and Housing Foreclosures: Exploring a New Link to the Subprime Mortgage Crisis. Housing Policy Debate 23(2): 1-27.
Allred, D. Development governances and the New Regionalism: How the ‘smart growth machine’ is restructuring metropolitan space. In D. Wilson (Ed.) Mobilizing Politics: the Urban Sustainability Notion and Project, Champaign, IL: Common Ground Publishing. In preparation.
Allred, D. and A. Chakraborty. The influence of the New Regionalism on sustainable development outcomes: Evidence from a regional land use planning process. In preparation.
Teaching and Advising
- UP136 – Foundations of Urban Sustainability
- UP203 – Cities: Planning & Urban Life
- UP312 – Communication for Planners
- UP446 – Sustainable Planning Seminar
- UP503 – Physical Planning